b7/y7 mini-me DONE! Idel at 3k?! SHIT!

Go down

b7/y7 mini-me DONE! Idel at 3k?! SHIT!

Post  SpoonFed on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:55 am

It's always kind of fun to do something that so few people attempt to do. And the b7 block y7 head mini-me swap is one of those... Lets face it, it's not a popular combo because the lack of VTEC. But I'm not doing this for power, I'm simply doing it to get my engine healthy again. And when adventuring into new territory where so few have attempted, and there is no fully complete documentaion online for it. One can run into problems, and while I had a few little snags here and there. I was able to get it done, and going... EXCEPT.... The car wants to idel at 3k RPM and will not budge... So I need all your guy's help on this one, I have my own theories right now, but ran out of time to attempt these tonight. First off I'm going to list off what I've used and how things are setup.

d15b7 sock lower end
d16y7 top end (head, cam, stock rebuild)
JDM d15b intake manifold and throttle body
AEM true-time cam gear
d16y7 timing belt (104 tooth)
d16y8 MLS head gasket

To compensate for the shorter y7 head vs the b7 head I advanced my cam gear 5 degrees. And currently my distributor is dead center, I have not advanced nor retarted the ignition timing yet. I've triple checked all my vac lines, and plugs everything is hooked up and where it needs to be EXCEPT! My evap solenoid on the intake manifold is broken, and I've not been able to find a replacment yet. So I've blocked off the vac line that goes to the solenoid for now. This is one of the things that I think might be causing my car to idle at 3k, since the car idled fine before I broke it... So as soon as I can find a new one (I hope tomorrow) I will get that one there and see what that does.

The only other thing I can think of right off the bat is that I'm using the JDM TB, and the MAP sensor is actually located on the TB instead of installed on the fire wall like it was before. So if the evap solenoid does not fix things I'm going to see if I need to install my b7 TB and b7 MAP sensor to see if that changes anything. These are the ONLY things I know of off the top of my head, I've also checked the throttle cable, and the idle screw and they seem to be fine...

Any help or ideas would be amazing, like I said I need my car for work by Monday. Thanks.
SpoonFed
Admin

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481843476

Back to top Go down

Re: b7/y7 mini-me DONE! Idel at 3k?! SHIT!

Post  Zen Chameleon on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 am

I'm gonna start sending you txts till you get it figured out man Wink
Zen Chameleon
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:55 am

Now that I'm awake and rested, I'm getting a lot of people tell me its more than likly a vacuum leak. Which makes 100% sence, so I'm gonna be checking that today.
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Did you replace your lines and hoses while doing the swap/build?
Black94Si

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Turned out I had a ton of air in my system. So I purged everything, and the idle dropped but is now bouncing between 1.5-2k rpm. I have no vacuum leaks that I can find, so I'm taking my IACV off in a min to clean up. Then I'm going to Purge the system again. Also found a evac purge solenoid that I'm going to pick up tonight and get installed. And I used all my old lines and hoses.
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Finnish_EJ1_Racer on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm

you dont need the evap system....i just ran the line straight from the fuel harline to the throttle body fitting.
and the idle may be because of a blockage in the TB gasket, make sure it matches up. the iacv could also be the culprit like you mentioned above.

we need to make an AAA thread like dso so we can all text each other if we have issues with anything.
Finnish_EJ1_Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Update! OK... I think I have everything figure out now, I still need to set the ignition timing, and I need to fix the vac leak on my intake manifold as well. I have one corner on the gasket that does not seem to be sealing right. I might have to double gasket it to make it seal right. I also need to take off my IACV and clean the piss out of it, there is not air in my system at all and every once and a while it will idle hunt. It is the IACV off of my b7 and it was doing it on the b7 so it HAS to be the IACV. But the engine is for the most, running a lot better and is idleing where it needs to be. I think once I get everything above crossed off my list it will be running great! Just need to find the time to do it the next few days in between life and work. Also, I have a new evap purge solenoid on it and on my way home my CEL came on. I went to look for the 2 pin CEL reader to jump on my passenger side under the dash... But I cannot find it for the life of me... So I cannot check my CEL right now which sucks...
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Finnish_EJ1_Racer on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:49 pm

hey bro, the cel jumper is in the green sleeve on the harness after the ecu connectors.
Finnish_EJ1_Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:38 pm

Thanks! The green cover with the plugs was tucked behing my ECU so I found it! And I have 3 codes in my history, going to clear them and see if they come back. But the codes are as followed:

(3) Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP Sensor) "After I did the head swap I did unplug this once while the car was running and it threw a CEL. I'm thinking this one is not a problem anymore."

(14) Idle Air Control Valve or bad ECU "Well, my car is nearly running fine now so I doubt my ECU is bad. And I do think there is something wrong with my IACV I'm going to probably take it off and clean it tomorrow after work"

(43) Fuel Supply System (Deffective or malfunctioning fuel supply system) "Not sure about this one... Me and some friends do feel my car is dumping fuel right now, the exahust smells of raw fuel and it is smoking a bit. I might need more help with this one..."
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:10 am

Ok, turns out that error code 43 is a super commong error code for Honda. And that the description for it was translated poorly from Japanese, to English. And that it indeed is an error code for a faulty o2 sensor... So that makes me happy that it's an easy fix.
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:14 am

Keep on with the list of things you already have first. I'm thinking it's possible that the mani leak could confuse the o2 in result effecting the ecu, thus why your dumping more fuel? Like I said before too, get a new TB gasket while your at.
Glad you got most of it sorted out. Keep us updated
Zen Chameleon
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 am

Zen Chameleon wrote:Keep on with the list of things you already have first. I'm thinking it's possible that the mani leak could confuse the o2 in result effecting the ecu, thus why your dumping more fuel? Like I said before too, get a new TB gasket while your at.
Glad you got most of it sorted out. Keep us updated

Well, I like to keep everything updated for a few reasons. One I can look back to remind myself what I've done, two it can help you guys help me think of things to look at, and three for the future... Who knows somebody might want to try this setup, or might have similar issues and find this and be able to fix their issue.
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Had a mechanic friend of mine at work check out what my smoke was. Turns out it's still burning oil... Ugh... I felt like I did all of this for nothing, there is NO way I'm pulling this engine out to install new rings. I'm just going to drive it...
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:41 pm

You don't have it posted here and I had forgot that the whole reason for the head swap was because you thought the other head was bad. Is it smoking as much as it was before? I need to hunt around and find your other thread I guess and see what you had going on.

I say gather parts and do it right (aka: get that block or another one fixed up asap)...I know that's easier said then done most of the time.
Zen Chameleon
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Yeah, I did a leak down test and a compression test. Both lead me to think the head was at fault for my half a quart of oil every week. But it does not seem so, as the only other thing I can think of is oil control rings. Now, the car does not smoke nearly as bad as it did before, and the car runs a lot better now. So it was not 100% in vein, but I would of rather just replaced the whole motor instead of doing it this way. I have a local friend who has a z6 block ready to for a head and to be dropped in. He is selling it to me tomorrow for $65, and another friend is selling me his XTD stage 3 clutch for $60. I'm just going to throw my y7 head on it, drop it in with the new clutch and go.

Also just cleaned up my IACV and the FITV and the car idles PERFECTLY now. Next on the list is fix the vacuum leak and I think I'm going to have to get a new gasket... I hope to maybe do that this weekend, until then I'm just driving the car to work and back which is less than a mile a day. Should be fine on such small routes, I'll keep everybody updated.
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Finnish_EJ1_Racer on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 pm

do the block swap for that amazing low price of $65 and take this chance to rebuild the other one completely.

i'm driving my untuned sol to and from work (18 miles) and i'm leaking oil from the crank ends on the oil pan......and you think you got problems hahahah
Finnish_EJ1_Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:46 am

Finnish_EJ1_Racer wrote:do the block swap for that amazing low price of $65 and take this chance to rebuild the other one completely.

i'm driving my untuned sol to and from work (18 miles) and i'm leaking oil from the crank ends on the oil pan......and you think you got problems hahahah

I HATE issues with my engine... Drives me up the wall! But yeah, I'm not gonna rebuild the b7, I'll end up junking it I'm sure... I have a complete z6 I'm going to do a full rebuild on once I have the engine in the Sol worked out.
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:31 am

Don't "junk" the b7 lol, I'll take it off your hands for scrap metal price if your just gonna toss it Laughing. Have you checked this uber cheap block out? Hope it works out for ya man.
Zen Chameleon
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 am

Zen Chameleon wrote:Don't "junk" the b7 lol, I'll take it off your hands for scrap metal price if your just gonna toss it Laughing. Have you checked this uber cheap block out? Hope it works out for ya man.

I have like parts for 3 different d-series engines in my garage, I'm starting to run out of space haha. But yeah, I'm picking up the z6 block today I've seen the engine when it ran and it was perfect. It was pulled for a b18c5 on boost, so it never saw any kind of abuse. Not sure when I'm picking up the stage 3 XTD clutch but it's ready for me to snag whenever as well.
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down