Sol Honda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally bought a B&M short shifter

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Finally bought a B&M short shifter Empty Finally bought a B&M short shifter

Post  Black94Si Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 pm

It'll be in the mail in a week. Does anyone mind making a sort of "how-to" for installing it?

I've read that you have to jack it up and go UNDER the car? Wtf?
I've searched and searched, and I can't find anything regarding Civics or Del Sols.

Any help is appreciated. I want to read up on it before it gets here so I know what I'm doing.
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Finally bought a B&M short shifter Empty Re: Finally bought a B&M short shifter

Post  Zen Chameleon Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Check H-T for a write-up, I think I've seen one there before. But yes you're gonna have to get under that bad boy to diconnect it from the shift linkage. Cool
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Zen Chameleon wrote:Check H-T for a write-up, I think I've seen one there before. But yes you're gonna have to get under that bad boy to diconnect it from the shift linkage. Cool
Fuck I hate Honda-tech. Sad

Thanks Zen.
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:36 am

H-T has it's good points Razz

Just in case your putting off searching, here --> [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:48 am

I installed the B&M dual bend 30% shifter, it was hands down the best shifter I ever felt. I'm actually debating on getting another one for my Sol because it was so amazing... Anyways, installing the shifter is a breeze will take you about 30-45 min.

This is also a GREAT time to order some ES shifter bushings to make shifting even smoother. That is if you don't have them already...

First thing is jack up the car or put it on ramps, yes you have to get underneath it. Then get in the car and remove the center console to expose the whole shifter. Remove the protective rubber boot, and you will see two square headed pins.

Then you will get under the car to remove the shift linkage from the bottom of the shifter. While on the bottom you will have to remove the two pins with bolts, BE VERY CAREFUL I GUARANTEE THEY WILL BE RUSTED AND THEY WILL BREAK EASILY. Ask me how I know... I would soak these nuts/pins in PB Blaster WD40 just wont cut it...

Take your time slowly breaking and removing these nuts because finding another set of them will prove to be hard. Or you could find a good set of nut/pins and just break the ones on your car to get them out. That would be the best bet because chances are they are going to want to break.

After you get the pins removed and the shift linkage un-installed the shifter will pull right out from the top. At this time it is the perfect time to install your ES shifter bushings trust me you're going to want these if you don't have them yet. Your old bushings are going to be rotten and broken mostly likely. And the ES bushings are wonderfully smooth and will make shifting a breeze.

Now install the new B&M shifter the opposite of how you un-installed the stock shifter. When installing the two pin/nuts having a friend up top will make things A TON easier because you need somebody to hold down the pins as you install the nuts from the bottom.

Install the shift linkage using the o-rings that B&M supplies in the kit, lower the car, install the weather boot/grommet over the shifter. Re-install your center console and take her for a test drive. WARNING CARRY AN EXTRA PAIR OF UNDERWEAR AND PANTS IN CAR. B&M SHIFTER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO CAUSE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SPLOOGING IN THE FIRST 20 MIN OF DRIVING!!!!!
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481843476

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks a lot for the write-up, Spoon. Very Happy
ES bushings aren't easy to find in my area...the nearest place that sells them is some auto place 22 mins away..
May pick em up when I get the shifter in the mail.
Do you know how much they go for?
Thanks again. Smile
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Black94Si wrote:Thanks a lot for the write-up, Spoon. Very Happy
ES bushings aren't easy to find in my area...the nearest place that sells them is some auto place 22 mins away..
Thanks again. Smile

Your friend will be [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] they go for around $10 for the set...
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:32 pm

SpoonFed wrote:
Black94Si wrote:Thanks a lot for the write-up, Spoon. Very Happy
Thanks again. Smile

Your friend will be [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] they go for around $10 for the set...
Damn I was hoping not to have to get them online.
Aight thanks. Razz

This'll work right?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:16 pm

When in dought about civic vs del sol just cross reference with your local honda dealer and make sure they have the same part number. I usually check on majestic, though every once in a while the part numbers can be different but still work.

Are you gonna do a full write-up for us?
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Damn the short shifter got here MAD QUICK. Was waiting for me on my bed when I got off work. Very Happy

Looks awesome. Gotta wait for a day off to install it.
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Black94Si wrote:Damn the short shifter got here MAD QUICK. Was waiting for me on my bed when I got off work. Very Happy

I bet you can't wait! It is a great upgrade for sure!
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:47 pm

SpoonFed wrote:
Black94Si wrote:Damn the short shifter got here MAD QUICK. Was waiting for me on my bed when I got off work. Very Happy

Gotta go pick up those bushings too.
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Black94Si wrote:
SpoonFed wrote:

Oh yes you do, those are a MUST with this shifter. The ultimate shift feeling I gurantee it!!
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 pm

SpoonFed wrote:
Black94Si wrote:
SpoonFed wrote:

Oh yes you do, those are a MUST with this shifter. The ultimate shift feeling I gurantee it!!
I'm not big on transmissions... will these bushings make shifting smoother and easier?
It's hard as shit to shift some times.. I get a lot of resistance when going to any gear.
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:12 am

Black94Si wrote:I'm not big on transmissions... will these bushings make shifting smoother and easier?
It's hard as shit to shift some times.. I get a lot of resistance when going to any gear.

It shouldn't be "difficult" to shift even being stock. Do you grind or have to force it into gear? Either way dropping the fluid may be a good idea if you havn't done it. Wink
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:14 am

Zen Chameleon wrote:
Black94Si wrote:I'm not big on transmissions... will these bushings make shifting smoother and easier?

It shouldn't be "difficult" to shift even being stock. Do you grind or have to force it into gear? Either way dropping the fluid may be a good idea if you havn't done it. Wink
It grinds into third sometimes actually..but that could be my old ass clutch slipping.

It's just a little resistant going into gear, ESPECIALLY fifth.
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:50 am

Zen Chameleon wrote:

+1
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:51 am

Black94Si wrote:
Zen Chameleon wrote:

It grinds into third sometimes actually..but that could be my old ass clutch slipping.

It's just a little resistant going into gear, ESPECIALLY fifth.

If it's grinding going into a gear its most likely a syncro going bad... But thank god d-series transmissions are a dime a dozen!
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:15 am

SpoonFed wrote:
If it's grinding going into a gear its most likely a syncro going bad... But thank god d-series transmissions are a dime a dozen!

Yeah it's pretty common with them. It's worth the $10 in fluid and 20 minutes of time to see if it helps smooth it out though, sometimes it works like a charm and sometimes it don't. I would change the fluid and ride it for a day or so before swapping the shifter that way you'll be able to feel the difference (if there is one, from changing the fluid).
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Zen Chameleon wrote:
SpoonFed wrote:

Yeah it's pretty common with them. It's worth the $10 in fluid and 20 minutes of time to see if it helps smooth it out though, sometimes it works like a charm and sometimes it don't. I would change the fluid and ride it for a day or so before swapping the shifter that way you'll be able to feel the difference (if there is one, from changing the fluid).
Where's the drain plug on these suckers?

Thanks for your input guys. Smile
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Black94Si wrote:
Zen Chameleon wrote:
SpoonFed wrote:

Where's the drain plug on these suckers?

Thanks for your input guys. Smile

Passenger side on the side of the transmission. Should be a good size pipe plug lookin guy at the lowest point of the transmission.
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:18 am

Damn it man...I knew I should have done a fricken write-up on this when I did it last weekend. I got one sitting on my workbench at home, I'll take a pic and highlight both bolts for ya in the morning. Wink
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Zen Chameleon wrote:Damn it man...I knew I should have done a fricken write-up on this when I did it last weekend. I got one sitting on my workbench at home, I'll take a pic and highlight both bolts for ya in the morning. Wink
Sounds good, thanks man. Very Happy
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Black94Si wrote: Sounds good, thanks man. Very Happy

No Problem...I did a write-up just for you Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black94Si Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:27 pm

God damn.. I went everywhere and couldn't find any Energy Suspension bushings.. Sad

Now I have to either order them online and wait til I get BACK from New Jersey to install my short shifter, or install it NOW without the bushings..
Black94Si
Black94Si

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next