Sol Honda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.5 to 1.6 v tec

5 posters

Go down

1.5 to 1.6 v tec Empty 1.5 to 1.6 v tec

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 pm

alright so its not exacl y del sol but my friend has a hatch with a 1.5 the car is a 94. and we have a parts 95 ex with a 1.6 i was woundering what wiring we need from the ex to swap the 1.6 into his hatch with the v tec system working properly?
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

1.5 to 1.6 v tec Empty Re: 1.5 to 1.6 v tec

Post  WORPsol Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Just need to run 2 wires and a ground. Ground from solenoid to motor, power wire from solenoid, and wire from oil pressure sensor.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
WORPsol
WORPsol

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:39 pm

wow thats simple enough, friend is gonna be stoked gonna throw in a timming belt water pump and gaskets and drop the motor into his hatch. should go alot better haha thx again man. ill be getting rdy to send my ecu to u soon he will need his when he dose the swap.
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  WORPsol Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:44 pm

K cool just let me know. Can send both to me in one package and may be able to save on shipping.
WORPsol
WORPsol

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Yep, pretty much a drop in and go situation besides two wires. If you want to get REAL simple and want extra power. Take the 1.6 head which I'm assuming is a z6 and put it on the 1.5 block which I'm assuming is a b7. It is a really simple setup, and has been done A LOT, really the z6 head swaps right over the only thing you have to do is remove the oil jet from the b7 block between cylinders 2 and 3. Use a two layer gasket, hook up your VTEC, get your P28 or a chipped ECU. You will be looking at 10.6:1CR and give yourself a nice bump in hp. There are a TON of writeups about it online, and it would only take a few hours to swap over to get better results than dropping in a full engine. Oh and use the z6 cam gear and the z6 timing belt.
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481843476

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:27 am

@Spoon fed, he said the 1.6 is from a EX so it is a Z6 now the d15 on the other hand well we don't know which one (hope it's not the Z1 or it would change everything). If I was just looking for a quick swap for a DD and had a choice then I'd rather do the full 1.6 swap than a min-me any day.

I also think the 2 layer HG is a myth unless you pull the middle layer out yourself but maybe I'm wrong. Even if I am then it would make more sense to mill the head to your specs while you had it off anyways, rather than using a potentially inferior part.

Further more in short, I'd no longer advise anyone to do a mini-me unless...
A: they had absolutely no choice to get up and running again or...B: wanted to do a crazy full rebuild for the heck of it.
Don't get me wrong the mini-me served it's purpose years ago with merritt but mating 20+ year old engine parts together w/o a rebuild is opening a big can of worms compaired to swaping a used long block IMHO.

Oh and untitledsol, tell your friend to hop on Dseries.org. It's the best source of info on the web for Dseries motors hands down. Good Luck
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:59 am

I don't see any real danger still these days with doing a mini-me. It can still serve a purpose, and unless one or both components are super high mileage like 250k+ then I would not do it. But to each their own, just suggestions and ideas!
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MainSubject Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:30 am

Hey guys, I would be the friend with the 94 hatch, 1.5L

Now I have to say, you've all been a huge help, and thank you for that. I have the D15B8, I was going to do the mini me until I got the D16Z6 *and a bunch of other misc. parts* for $125. Also the D15 I've got has blown oil rings, therefor no compression, and runs like a diesel at times haha. Also these engines are both high miles, 1.5-190k 1.6-*supposive* 256k. However the 1.6 sounded like a 130k motor, and i'll see the internals when I do the gasket kit. This right now is just a way to get my car to get out of an intersection faster than a snail going uphill.

It's nice to know That I don't need much wiring to be done, And sorry but I forgot. Am I doing this wiring with my D15 harness? or the D16 harness with the P28 ECU? just like to know all my details for sure before I waste my time on things lol.
MainSubject
MainSubject

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 am

MainSubject wrote:Hey guys, I would be the friend with the 94 hatch, 1.5L

Now I have to say, you've all been a huge help, and thank you for that. I have the D15B8, I was going to do the mini me until I got the D16Z6 *and a bunch of other misc. parts* for $125. Also the D15 I've got has blown oil rings, therefor no compression, and runs like a diesel at times haha. Also these engines are both high miles, 1.5-190k 1.6-*supposive* 256k. However the 1.6 sounded like a 130k motor, and i'll see the internals when I do the gasket kit. This right now is just a way to get my car to get out of an intersection faster than a snail going uphill.

It's nice to know That I don't need much wiring to be done, And sorry but I forgot. Am I doing this wiring with my D15 harness? or the D16 harness with the P28 ECU? just like to know all my details for sure before I waste my time on things lol.

Glad we could help, but since you did join up with the site please post an introduction with pictures of your car that always helps Wink.

Now onto your question, just leave the engine and cab harness you have in the car. The d16z6 will plug into the harness that's already in the car, you will just have to get a p28 and wire the 2 VTEC wires up yourself. Which is super easy. Welcome to the site!
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MainSubject Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:00 am

Hey guys, so in the next few weeks I plan on doing the swap. My only question to be answered is for the wiring, am I wiring all the wires into the ECU? If so do I snake the wires through the ECU plugs on the right pegs? Or would the little metal connector tabs not be in the plugs since my car never came with a VTEC? I know all of that might be confusing, if you don't get where I'm going with it I'll revise it lol.
MainSubject
MainSubject

Back to top Go down

Post  WORPsol Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Depending on your year and trim if you have wires in the factory harness for vtec. Most likely you dont have it.

Easiest way is to just run wires from the sensors to the ecu. 2 of the wires will go to ecu ad the other will ground to the engine. You will have to get some ECU pins for the car side of the harness. I may have some I could mail you or you will need to find a car at the junk yard to get some from.
WORPsol
WORPsol

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum