Sol Honda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

last things to firgure out before trans swap.

5 posters

Go down

last things to firgure out before trans swap. Empty last things to firgure out before trans swap.

Post  untitledsol Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:56 pm

ok so im ordering my sol linkage monday, 75$ with shipping. but want to know if i can use the stock ecu for the car, even tho its an auto, and do i need to put the clutch pedal sensors in? if i leave the auto park sensor in the car in the park position, it should still start fine. if anyone has any other info on electrical tha needs to be changed when i need to do this swap plz let me know, thx
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

last things to firgure out before trans swap. Empty Re: last things to firgure out before trans swap.

Post  WORPsol Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 pm

You can convert the ecu to a manual. You have to splice a clutch switch into the NSS for the auto setup.
WORPsol
WORPsol

Back to top Go down

last things to firgure out before trans swap. Empty Re: last things to firgure out before trans swap.

Post  Finnish_EJ1_Racer Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:58 pm

i think there is a write up on dso about this.
Finnish_EJ1_Racer
Finnish_EJ1_Racer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Chameleon Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:41 am

Yeah I think DSO does and if not then H-T for sure. It would be great to have a
Sol-Honda member do a write-up on this though Wink
Zen Chameleon
Zen Chameleon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:38 am

I've had personal first hand experience with this actually... When my gf bought her 2000 Civic hatch, the previous owner did an auto to manual swap in it. They did a great job and actually I thought the car was a factory manual until we looked up the VIN and it came back an auto. Well, we also noticed after a few days of driving, the car did not feel right. It was sluggish, the engine sounded weird, and we were getting horrible gas mileage.

Turned out the car had the wrong ECU and engine harness. Not only was the car swapped to a manual, but it had a different engine in it as well. Still a d16y7 but different... As we all know 96-98 is OBD2a and 99-00 is OBD2b. Different engine harness, and different ECU... This car still having the OBD2b cab harness still, the previous owner swapped in an OBD2a engine with the OBD2a engine harness, and a OBD2a auto ECU that was not converted to a manual. Because of this the car was running like shit, and got maybe 15mpg in town and 18mpg on the hwy.

I ended up swapping the engine harness for an OBD2b and the ECU for an OBD2b P2P for a manual. And everything was fixed, the car ran great after that.

Here is the moral of this story...

While I was fighting the wrong engine harness and ECU, I still feel if you use an auto ECU on a manual even if it has been converted to a manual ECU. The car is not going to run right at all. Converting an auto ECU to a manual ECU is a very simple process but that does not change anything else about the ECU for it's still programmed to run an auto car. It just no longer has the process to work with an auto trans.

SO if you want your car to run right, spend $30-$50 on a manual PO6 ECU and do it the right way or else you will not be happy with the results.
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481843476

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 am

netral saftey switch? and i will put a new ecu in, anyone on here have one for sale?

Last edited by untitledsol on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  WORPsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:48 pm

If you are running a p06 or a p28 there is nothing to converting it to a auto. Another one of the good things about a OBD1 ecu. You remove 2 resistors and put in a jumper wire and you now have a manual ECU. I just did this on a auto p28 I have. I couldnt find a manual one and I found a virgin auto one for $20. Converted it to manual and getting ready to order a chipping kit so I can tune the car.

If yours is OBD1 (I have paid attn to year) then if you wanna send me your ecu I will convert it to auto for you. You just cover the shipping on it.

Yeah thats what NSS stands for. Its so the car will only start in park or neutral. There is a write up on how do to it but I cant mem right off where. If I had a OBD1 car I was converting I would do it. You just take the wires that go to that sensor and wire it to a clutch switch so when you push in the clutch it makes the circuit so you can start the car. Just 2 wires you have to run.
WORPsol
WORPsol

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:54 pm

WORPsol wrote:If you are running a p06 or a p28 there is nothing to converting it to a auto. Another one of the good things about a OBD1 ecu. You remove 2 resistors and put in a jumper wire and you now have a manual ECU. I just did this on a auto p28 I have. I couldnt find a manual one and I found a virgin auto one for $20. Converted it to manual and getting ready to order a chipping kit so I can tune the car.

If yours is OBD1 (I have paid attn to year) then if you wanna send me your ecu I will convert it to auto for you. You just cover the shipping on it.

Yeah thats what NSS stands for. Its so the car will only start in park or neutral. There is a write up on how do to it but I cant mem right off where. If I had a OBD1 car I was converting I would do it. You just take the wires that go to that sensor and wire it to a clutch switch so when you push in the clutch it makes the circuit so you can start the car. Just 2 wires you have to run.

He is not wanting to make a manual an auto, he was just wondering if an auto ECU will work with his car after he converts it from an auto to a manual. And you are correct about making an auto ECU to a manual ECU is really that simple. But there is a difference between the two tunes for an auto and manual ECU. So even if you make the ECU a manual ECU it will still be tuned for an auto car. That is why you will have to chip and re-program the ECU.
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:29 pm

okay, thanks for all your info everyone. my friend wanted the ecu on the car we went half on, but he isnt doing his motor swap for awhile, so can i use the civic ex ecu? its a 95 but im pretty sure is obd1. thats the car the tranS CAME OUT OF, IT HAS A 1.6 VTEC dam caps haha and while i run that,, you said i can re tune and chip my ecu to have it work properly for my 1.6 and the manual trans? if so, how much dose that normaly cost?
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:39 pm

untitledsol wrote:okay, thanks for all your info everyone. my friend wanted the ecu on the car we went half on, but he isnt doing his motor swap for awhile, so can i use the civic ex ecu? its a 95 but im pretty sure is obd1. thats the car the tranS CAME OUT OF, IT HAS A 1.6 VTEC dam caps haha and while i run that,, you said i can re tune and chip my ecu to have it work properly for my 1.6 and the manual trans? if so, how much dose that normaly cost?

I would not run the P28 on a non-VTEC engine... P28 being the ECU for the d16z6 that comes in the 95 Civic EX, I'm pretty sure the tune for a z6 is a lot more aggressive than your current engine. You will run very rich, and the car will run like crap, and you will get bad gas mileage as well. You really need to find a manual P06 to run, they are all over CL for like $40.

And when it comes to tuning an ECU it HAS to be an OBD1 ECU such as the P28, P06 ect... You can get a full Moates chipping kit for around $20, and you can solder it into the ECU yourself to save money. Now when it comes to tuning, that is a whole different story all together, it can get expensive depending on what you're wanting to tune with. Probably the most popular tuning software is Hondata S300 right now, and that will set you back close to $500. Then you have to find somebody to tune your car be it a street tune or dyno tuning. Obviously a street tune will be a lot cheaper, but it will not dial in your cars true potential. Dyno tuning is the only way to really dial in and get the most from your car you can. But that is another expensive expense right there, and can easily cost hundreds more for tuning. I'm sure you can do the math...
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:44 pm

I have the z6 motor in my sol.
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:46 pm

untitledsol wrote:I have the z6 motor in my sol.

Oh... For some reason I was thinking you had something else in it. Well, shit then that P28 you have will be perfect. Disregard the idiot behind the curtain hahaha.
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Haha its all good. But I can only run it until my friend
Needs it. So how much would it cost for me to make the ecu
In my car rdy for the the manual? Or would it be cheaper to buy a new one?
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  SpoonFed Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:03 pm

untitledsol wrote:Haha its all good. But I can only run it until my friend
Needs it. So how much would it cost for me to make the ecu
In my car rdy for the the manual? Or would it be cheaper to buy a new one?

Well, it will be cheaper to convert your auto P28 to a manual. But I personally don't like doing this because the tune is slightly different between the auto and manual ECU. But probably not a big enough difference to greatly effect you. The car might not feel the way it should, and your gas mileage might suffer a tiny bit. You can turn it into a manual ECU for almost nothing at all... Maybe like 10 cents for the price of a 0 ohm resistor, or you can buy a factory manual P28 for around $100-$150 is the average going price it seems.

Here is a step by step with pictures on how to do the auto to manual change:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
SpoonFed
SpoonFed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  WORPsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Is the z6 stock or did you swap it in? If you swapped it in did you have the ecu with it? What I am gettin at is I want to make sure you have a p28 not a p06. If you have a p28 auto and want to convert to a p28 manual then just do as this link says

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you would like I will convert it and also chip it and install a manual p28 base map on it for $75. If you are in the US then that includes return shipping.
WORPsol
WORPsol

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:04 pm

She has the stock z6 with 220000 on her haha. Once i do the swap I will Probly send it to you
When I have the spare cash.
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  WORPsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 pm

ok cool deal just let me know.
WORPsol
WORPsol

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:26 pm

now will that make it the same as an ecu from a car with a manual? sept you said it will be chipped? ... and yeah, i need this trans in soon, i could use the little more get up and go haha i hate this dog o matic. got beat by my friends 97 dodge 1500 with a 318 tonight :l know i wouldve had him with a standard.
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  WORPsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:29 pm

yeah it will make it the same. With it being chipped it can be tuned alot easier. If you every turbo it or anything down the road you all the stuff will already be there to burn a new chip and drop into it.
WORPsol
WORPsol

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:37 pm

k good, cuz it will get boosted next winter. when it sits in the garage. plan on spending about 5-6 grand on it next winter. atleast. depending on ow much motor work i do, and as long as student loan payments arent too bad. hate the fact i have to drive it this winter.... will just have to wash it twice a week haha.
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  Finnish_EJ1_Racer Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:19 am

the stock p28 auto ecu will work with the manual, you'll just have a higher idle. i rocked my sol with one.....it kinda drove itself in 1st gear hahahah made up for not have power steering.
Finnish_EJ1_Racer
Finnish_EJ1_Racer

Back to top Go down

Post  untitledsol Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:34 pm

pretty much have it all figured out now. thx everyone.
untitledsol
untitledsol

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum